Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sew Memorable Quilt Shop

In early 2006 when the job I had was coming to an end, and I was itching for a change, I made the decision to move to north Georgia. My brother lives an hour's drive north of Atlanta, on Lake Lanier, and I had always enjoyed the time I spent at his house. Each Spring and Fall, I would pick-up my mom and we would head north for our semi-annual visits to Flip's house. We would exit I-75 at Adel/Hahira, and take the back roads just to see the wisteria and cotton fields in Spring, and in the Fall, the beautiful shades of gold, red and orange foliage.

So the decision was made to move, but where? North Georgia has many interesting towns, and of course, there's always Atlanta. As a younger woman, I had lived in big, big cities - New York, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and most recently Tampa, but I really felt most comfortable in smaller places, with more "green" and less concrete. I made several trips in early 2006, trying to decide where to live - north of Atlanta, close enough to drive to my brother's house, and there must be a good quilt shop. You have to understand . . . I'm a quilter, and as a culture, we must have ready access to good fabric, and all of the fixins that go with it, plus the comraderie of fellow fabriholics. I "let my fingers do the walkin'", this time via the internet (not the yellow pages), to locate quilt shops "to interview" as a possible home base for living in north Georgia. I saw lots of wonderful fabric, met many interesting shop owners and their customers, and made a decision that the Dawsonville area would be my home . . . and Sew Memorable Quilt Shop was the to be my home base quilt shop.

Why? Out of the numerous shops and towns that I visited, Sew Memorable's owner, Jeanne Rish, was the most lively, colorful, fun and helpful shopkeeper I'd ever met! Her easy laugh, wry sense of humor, love of fabric, and true dedication to great customer service "sealed the deal" for me. Dawsonville was to be my new home, and I have not regretted that decision for one minute during the last five years. But sadly, Sew Memorable will close its doors to customers next Saturday, August 27, and Jeanne will move on to other adventures which, hopefully, will include her loyal groups of friends and customers.

I'm very sad that this little shop is closing . . . another shop in Cumming has recently opened, and they have a good selection of fabric, but no one will ever replace Jeanne and Sew Memorable as my quilt shop of choice.

1 comment:

Paige said...

I live in Cumming and this is my quilt shop too. Isn't is sad....I feel like I need to go throught the whole greiving process with Jeanne closing her doors. Such a sad day. I wish Jeanne all the best!