Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cat Stories and Blueberry Cobbler


















There's a cat story behind this Blueberry Cobbler - isn't there always a story? My friend, Gina, who is a dedicated adoptions volunteer at our local humane society, came upon a mother cat and some kittens in the woods behind her house. She borrowed a feral trap from the good folks at Animal Control, and was able to capture the two semi-feral kittens that belonged to the mother cat (who is very friendly, likes dogs and gets along with other cats, too), and a third kitten - a tortoiseshell calico - that can't possibly be hers - it's much bigger than the other two kittens, very socialized, and doesn't look a thing like the mother cat.

Gina sent out an email, asking for suggestions on how to best socialize this group, and I offered to take them from her and work with them. This was great news to Gina, who has several inside dogs, plus she feeds a few outside cats and the occasional possum! Gina met me at the local Wild Birds Unlimited, and handed off the mother and kittens in two separate trips - that last kitten was a little rascal, and it took some effort to catch her. And with the mother cat and kittens, Gina gave me a hefty supply of blueberries from her garden. I was delighted! Tonight, along with baked chicken, okra and baked potato, I made this oh-so-yummy Blueberry Cobbler for dessert.

Big George sat on the bar and watched me cook the entire time I was in the kitchen. My cats don't often see me cook (does throwing something in the microwave count?) and when they hear the clanging of pots and pans and great smells begin to fill the house, they jockey for position on the bar. Big George always has a position of prominence . . . but because I was too busy actually cooking, I didn't have time to take a photo of the "kitchen help". George wandered into the living room, and amused himself by watching the birdfeeder activity (his favorite hobby besides long naps), where I managed to snap a photo - isn't he just beautiful? And the sweetest boy ever!


















No comments: