Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sweet Potato Vines - It Must Be Summer!

As soon as Home Depot puts out their sweet potato vines in late Spring, I scoop up several of these chartreuse miracles and fill pots and baskets to the brim! The backdrop of my house is taupe, with white trim and dark brown window shutters, and the bright green plants provide just the right accent of brilliant color! Plus they grow like weeds, and last until the first frost of Fall. I take them with me to my vendor shows, placing them "just so" as the perfect accessory to my brightly colored quilts.

Summer is in full swing, and so am I! As a quilter that sells her wares primarily at Fall and Holiday vendor shows, I'm always "working ahead of the season" and right now, I'm making scarecrow door banners - lots of them! Using up the stacks and stacks of fabric that I've accumulated over many years, the scarecrows require lots of piecing with a little bit of applique, and each one is unique as I never duplicate them.

Next on the quilting schedule are snowmen and Santas! And again I'll turn to my stash of great fabrics to make these holiday door banners that I hope will sell "like hotcakes"! But right now, I'm still enjoying the sweet potato vine, watching the birds gorge themselves on birdseed, and listening to the moo-ing of the cows in the nearby pasture - what a treat summer is - like a reward for making it through the winter!

No comments: