Friday, March 18, 2011

My mother's Florida Azaleas!

Nothing else compares to the beautiful color of springtime azaleas! Drive through any southern town or city at this time of year and you're sure to encounter a riot of bright blooms in practically everyone's yard. These fuchsia azaleas have been at the corner of my mother's carport for over 20+ years, and each year, the bush gets bigger and bigger, and the fragrance is wonderful. I remember living in New Orleans back in the '70's and taking the public bus up Canal Street to work. All along the neutral ground down the middle of Canal Street, there were all colors of azaleas - light pink, dark red, purple, white. And if you drive along St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans, all of the old homes and hotels are surrounded by banks of azalea bushes. Azaleas mean that spring is FINALLY here . . . makes me want to make a quilt and give it some crazy azalea name! I think I might just do that!

1 comment:

mom said...

Beautiful picture!!!!