Sunday, February 13, 2011

Knitting 101

Having made only one New Year's resolution for 2011 - to do something different EVERY month, I'll well on my way to keeping my resolution! In January, I began to learn to knit! I've always loved yarn - the colors, the textures, the different types of yarn (man-made fibers vs. natural/organic), and have several baskets around my home with balls of yarns (well out of the reach of my cats, you know). My mom is an excellent knitter, having made me several beautiful scarves over the years, and a pink cotton sweater that I've had since the 70's - no kidding - and I still wear it, too. Mom sits at night, watches TV and knits - I certainly get that trait from her. I can't just watch TV, as I have to be doing something with my hands - sewing a quilt binding, and now knitting!

The local quilt shop owner has "rediscovered" her own love of knitting, and asked a colleague to teach students to knit. The shop hosts a weekly "knit wits" night whereby anyone can bring in a knitting project and "sit and knit". My class has five students, two of which are elementary school girls, and we're all enjoying the opportunity to learn a new handmade skill. The photo above is a glimpse of how I'm progressing, and even though I've pulled out the soon-to-be scarf several times, I'm learning to recognize my mistakes and correct them myself - which to me is great progress! I've got three project going at the same time, each one with a different purpose (one using cotton yard, one for a knit/purl basketweave scarf to match my coat, and the third you see above - another scarf in variegated yarn again to match my coat). In just four short weeks, I've bought yarn from Joann's, from a yarn shop, and purchased yarn online! Not bad for a new knitter, huh?

And this love of knitting has opened a whole new world of people, a knitting culture! One day I hope to be able to knit as well as my mom, and that will take years of practice, but Knitting 101 is the first step!

No comments: